Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Today I come clean about my addicition...

I have a confession to make; please brace yourselves as this may come as a shock to you.
I have an addiction and it dates back several years now; I am thinking about 20 years give or take. I think it is time for me to come clean; I cannot get enough reality TV there I said it! The monkey has been lifted off my back; I feel a ton lighter as I get this confession out there. It started back when I was watching “The Real World” on a channel that used to show music videos called MTV.  I was fascinated by the bringing together the different races and personalities and to see them make fools of themselves. It was pure entertainment, almost like going to the zoo and seeing these strange animals. I was never really around people so out there growing up; most of my friends were pretty reserved growing up in a church. MTV started showing stupid game shows and dancing shows with women that did not wear a lot of clothes. Again entertainment to the max; they found the recipe before the other channels jumped on.
Then came along Survivor and it had one of its contestants walking around naked the very first year. You could tell the producers were really starting to understand the different dynamics of different people being forced to live in the same area for 60 some odd days. Then off course came along big brother and a slew of many other reality game shows or just reality shows. American Idol of course was the start of the talent shows/ reality TV I was hooked when I started watching the second season and continue to watch today. Then came along the cooking competition shows from Hell’s kitchen on Fox which through together chefs in a house for months all with egos the size of Texas and of course the Gordon Ramsey yelling at them all the time. Brilliant entertainment and as the seasons go on they continue to find dumber and dumber people to put on the show. I can only imagine the reason is that they have realized this makes for amazing TV. All these programs on all the different stations bring more and more competition to all these stations. It also brings better and better entertainment value to the junkies such as me.
However I believe they have finally reached the peak in putting people on a TV and having them be “themselves”. I can only imagine shows like Jersey Shore and my favorite Jerseylicous are coached on things to do, act and say. I however do not care one bit, these shows have inspired a new idea. I believe these people should be put out on live shows and in cages if necessary. I would love to pet the hair on these women and have a conversation with this guys with arms the size of a python and the brains of what appears to be a peanut. How entertaining this culture from New Jersey is amazing to me; I am pretty sure New Jersey remains in the United States however they are like no people I have ever been around. They are my new hero; they are the reason that New Jersey is now my number one vacation destination. I no longer need to see New York or Ireland or Hawaii; just send me to a hair salon in Jersey and let me watch the interaction with these aliens right here from America. They are the reason I am proud to be an addict of reality TV; they are the pinnacle of entertainment. When I announced my addiction it was not the start of a 12 step program to get me on the wagon of the CSI shows. It was a declaration that I have a problem and am proud to announce to the world. I would however recommend to the rest of you out there not to sample the greatness of reality TV unless you are willing to take the chance of being a junky like me. As people; scratch that as ignorant people put on TV. God Bless America and the people in it that are placed here for my entertainment.

Until Next time ….living the dream one day at a time as the world turns.

No comments:

Post a Comment